Thursday, March 6, 2014

Taking Care Of Yourself

I've learned that one of the easiest things to do when you have a baby is forget about yourself. It is so easy to do- between trying to sleep, changing diapers, taking care of the house, school, and just taking care of the baby it seems that there really isn't much time for anything else.

       The first thing that I realized when I had my daughter is that I wasn't happy with the choice I made regarding my major. Even though I would be done sooner if I pursued my advertising degree- I wouldn't be happy. Even though our lives will be more difficult for a little bit- in the end I needed to make sure I would be happy. At first I felt guilty that I wouldn't be able to give her everything for the first few years of her life but, in the end I decided that her having a happy family would be more important and beneficial to her that "having everything".  That is the first way that I've learned to take care of myself- my happiness is just is as imporatant as hers. In fact, without my happiness, it would be a lot harder for her to have a happy childhood.

          Sometimes you just have to walk away. Being a parent is so overwhelming- more than I could have ever imagined. The scream-filled nights, the endless diapers, the constant feedings, it's all just so much to deal with. It's so hard to make sure that you find time for yourself, but it's so important. Whether it's going to Target for a little while,  getting a coffee, or getting your nail's done ALWAYS remember to find time for yourself. You have to stay calm, and make sure that the baby doesn't take everything from you. Of course you'll sacrifice things for the baby, and that's how it's supposed to be, but if you completely forget about yourself- there will be zero benefit to you or the baby from it.

          Never be afraid to ask for help. I've already asked so many questions to doctors, nurses, and my Mother. My Mom has been the most hope- I truly don't know what I would do without her. She's has been my lifesaver throughout my pregnancy, labor and delivery, and the first few weeks as home. Everybody needs to have at least one person that they can depend on when you have a baby. Whether they can actually help by watching the baby, or running errands, or even just listening to you when you have worries and concerns. Find someone you can depend on, and utilize them. My Mother has made the hardest time of my life so much easier.

    Remember to take care of yourself, ask for help when you need it, and find time for you. Just because you have a baby doesn't mean that your not important. All of those things have been taught to me in the past weeks. I'm sure i'll continue to learn more everyday as I try to make it through parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. I think, counter to some of our cultural beliefs, having a happy family IS everything! We'd probably realize it more if we lived in a less material rich country. I'm glad you realize the importance of this!

    ReplyDelete